Friday, January 2, 2009

Fun Christmas Tiles!


These coaster tiles were so much fun making, and even more fun giving away as gifts! Everyone loved them!

I did a lot of research before starting! I chose a light colored tile at a local home improvement store. I did not pick the tumbled tiles as many others have used, due to the uneven edges. You do want to note that due to the uneven surface, some of your images won't stamp completely. I love this stamp set and couldn't wait to use it!

Directions:

1. Be sure to wipe each tile first, removing any dust on them. Make sure they are dry before stamping
2. Use a permanent ink like Stazon! Carefully ink your stamp and stamp your image. Also have on hand Stazon cleaner. It works great on mistakes if you dab some on a piece of paper towel and wipe your mistake carefully.
3. I placed my tiles on cookie sheets. When a cookie sheet was filled, I place them in my preheated oven at 225 degrees for 15 minutes to dry the ink.
4. I used colored chalks with q-tips. The tiles seem to "grab" the color. You do not have to be precise! You can also use your blender pen and stamp pad ink in the lid to color in the image. I just preferred a softer look of color with the chalks.
5. Lightly spray an acrylic sealant over the tiles, key word here is "lightly". You want to set the color, but not completely seal the tile, allowing it to absorb moisture from cup/coaster use.
6. I purchased small felt circles with adhesive backing for the bottom of my coasters. This is to protect furniture from scratching.

If you have questions or need more information, please feel free to contact me!

I made 40 tiles in one evening. They were easy to make!


1 comment:

Michelle said...

Your first tutorial!!!!!
What an awesome job, too!
I have some tiles and they are just collecting dust. Maybe it's time to clean 'em up :-)

My Creations