Friday, April 25, 2008

Quilt Card


I have wanted to make a quilt card from the moment I saw one. I have an upcoming occasion and thought it would be a great time to try my hand at one. The recipient loves earth tone colors, so I chose to use some yummy DP paper I had on hand called "Outlaw". (Oops, I apologize, but this paper is no longer available, but any other DP would work well!)
I didn't have instructions but remembered somewhat of what I saw someone else do.
I first cut a 1 1/2" square out of Chocolate Chip CS. This square is what I used for the center of my quilt. Next I chose three different double sided papers and cut 1/2" strips. I then cut each 1/2" strip into 4" lengths. I chose Creamy Caramel for the base of my card, cutting it the usual 5 1/2" by 8 1/2" and folding it in half. I used a ruler to lightly mark pencil lines from corner to corner to determine the center of my card. This is where I adhered my choc. square. As you can see from my card, you lay each design side-by-side working outward. When you finish, you will have to trim your card as there will be pieces of overhang all the way around. I just put it on my paper trimmer and cut it all down to the size of my card.
I used Chocolate Chip ink to sponge all the edges and give a slightly "aged" look to my quilt.
Next I decided to use the square flower from the Carte Postale set as my focal point. I stamped this on Creamy Caramel CS using my stamp-a-ma-jig, quickly cleaned my stamp, re-inked it using Versamark, and re stamped it over my first image. Next I poured clear Embossing Powder over it and heat set it, to make the design "POP". I used my 1 3/8" square punch to cut this out, added a pewter brad to the center and adhered it to the Choc. brown square using double sided tape.
For the sentiment I used Memories from the Define Your Life set. I stamped that in Chocolate Chip ink, again using my stamp-a-ma-jig, cleaning my stamp, re inking it with versamark, and stamping over the first image. I used the EP, heat set it, then layered the sentiment on Creamy Caramel and again on Chocolate Chip CS. I used dimensionals to pop it up. At this point my card seemed off balance and it needed something in the upper left hand corner. After going thru all my embellishment options, I thought I'd use my sewing machine to create a "corner line".....sewing? quilt? They just go together. If you have any questions, drop me a comment. Hope this is clearer than mud! LOL

Edited to add: I was asked how many strips I used for this card. I cut 2 strips, each 1/2" X 12" from each print. I then cut those strips down to 4" long. I hope I answered your question!

Thank you for looking,

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Yay Susan!!! It's finished and it looks awesome, of course!
Will you be doing the 'make two' rule? Make one and send one.
Great job,
m

Lin Mei said...

Lovely use of color and Designer Series paper, Susan! Carte Postale is such a versatile stamp set...

CORINNE said...

Hi Susan
Just found this blog love the quilted card. How many strip does it take?
Again great blog, i have saved it in my favor places to return to it

Sharon said...

Hi Susan...thanks for coming to visit my blog via Beate's Yahoo group. Thought I'd come check out your blog too! Love this quilted card. It's a great way to use up all those PP scraps.

My Creations